Sunday, June 25, 2006

What's with the Antagonist

I'm working on an idea...but I have to get it straight in my head and thought perhaps it would be good to jot down some items...just some ramblings about the idea.

Antagonist:
Function: noun
1 : one that contends with or opposes another : Adversary, Opponent

So here's where I'm going with this...

In romantic fiction, would you consider the male love interest of a female lead character to be the antagonist?

Of course it would totally be dependant on the premise behind the story, the action that takes place and how willing he is to participate in a romantic encounter with our sex-crazed heroine, but couldn't the female lead ALSO be the antagonist of the story as well as being the protagonist?

Is it written anywhere that states in order to have a good story you have to have a protagonist, an antagonist and that they can't be the same person?

I wonder sometimes, as I believe I have a female friend who is both a protagonist and the antagonist in her own life...which tends to cause her problems romantically.

Hmm....now there's an idea. I could use her as a character. I don't think I'd make her the main character, but maybe a mid character. Yes, for sure! She could show everyone why they make the choices they do and why she doesn't!

I'm off to jot that idea down and some great dialogue ideas I have for it too!