Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Getting Started: What's the Hold Up?

I have a problem.

I'm sure it is a simple problem to fix, but I just can't seem to fix it myself.

Have you ever had so many good ideas that you just don't know where to start?

My problem isn't the ideas, although I do have quite a number of them. My problem is that I'm still so new at this whole writing thing that I don't really know where to start.

So instead of writing and getting my thoughts down, I'm busy researching and working on different aspects of writing. I admit, I REALLY need to work on some of the things I'm working on. But I wonder if it's supposed to be this hard to concentrate or if I'm just scared.

I don't want to be laughed at (unless I'm making a joke) or ridiculed (unless I am being a complete @$$ - which doesn't happen very often). I want to be taken seriously and I want to get all my thoughts, ideas and feelings down on paper so that I can write something that entertains me.

So - why am I so afraid? If I'm writing for me, why does it matter what someone else might say? I think it's because this is really new and I'm trying to jump in with both feet at the same time as I'm trying to make sure I do it with as few mis-steps as possible. The fear of taking a wrong turn or doing something the wrong way seems to be holding me back a bit.

I need to find a way to get over this fear...no excuses, I REALLY need to do this - it isn't a want anymore, it's a powerful need in me to create something satisfying...so maybe tomorrow I'll have some quiet time in the late afternoon that after physiotherapy when I'll be able to dedicate some time to writing.

What about you? What keeps you from writing? How do you get over your fear?