Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I'm NO Expert

At least not yet...but I need to get some feedback on this.

I'm reading a novel and I found a small piece that didn't make sense to me, at least not on the first four readings of it, so I thought I'd try all of you.

here is an excerpt from Covert Makeover by Mallory Kane, a July issue Harlequin Intrigue.

"Some morning show was on TV, but Johnson's eyes were closed and one hand worried the oxygen tube inserted in his nose."

So, I must ask...worried what? The hand worried the tube would fall out? Maybe not get enough oxygen to the brain? How can a hand worry? Shouldn't it be something like - one hand held (or even protected) 'the tube'? The above paragraph is a direct quote from the book, but it left me a bit confused at what the author was trying to say. I don't know if perhaps it is because I would not think to use the word "worried" to describe a hand or even what a hand would do on a breathing tube. Why does it seem to me that the sentence is incomplete, which is really what I thought the first few times I read it over while I tried to understand what the author was saying.

I believe I get the idea, and that is that either the hand is securly holding the tube or he is running his hand up and down the tube, but to me, the use of the word worried doesn't seem quite right.

So - can you help me out? what do you think of the use of the word in that particular sentence. There is no description about his hand on the tube after that...

As an aside, this book is excellent. I am thoroughly enjoying it...how can I tell when I think a book is excellent? When I start it at 6 am because I can't get back to sleep and then show up late to work because I forgot what time it was...

Good thing I'm the boss! :D

**edited to fix my spelling errors...they tell me it's time to cut my nails again!