Friday, August 11, 2006

No Quiet Time for Me

I was really looking forward to some quiet time yesterday - and I almost had it.

My girl was being entertained by her video games, my brother (who is staying with me while my parents are on vacation) was being entertained by watching her, his dog slept all day and my dog had fun with a new toy - an empty plastic water bottle. I believe she was just trying to get at the last few drops of my Tangerine Nestea drink, but maybe it was just the newness of being allowed to chew something other than her own toys.

Gathering all of my materials, I was heading outside to my spot to try to work through a few of my writing exercises when my darling husband, hair still damp from his shower, opened the back door and told me I had company.

My girlfriend Kim decided to show up out of the blue as she was entertaining a friend from Manchester, England who has come to visit Canada before going to New Zealand to work.

It was a nice visit that lasted two hours longer than I really wanted, but I did love listening to her talk. Her accent is really neat! And she had some great stories about traveling so I could live vicariously through her journeys.

The problem was, I didn't want to be rude and say - get the hell out :D *giggle* I doubt I would say that to anyone besides my husband...so they were here for THREE hours. THREE precious hours that I could have spent writing.

By the time they left, ,my back ached so much I could hardly move. OMG - it just hit me. I should have used my back as an excuse! Well...now I know better.

I just hate being rude when unexpected visitors show up. During my work day I always try to have time set aside for the "unexpected", you know the server crashes, the support calls, the email problems. It seems easier somehow to set aside time for that when I'm at the office, but when I'm at home it is so different.

How do you deal with the unexpected in your day? Do you find the unexpected things happen more often when you have an epiphany or when you are writing "drivel"? (I love that and just wanted to use it in one of my own posts!