Monday, July 31, 2006

Building on an Idea

I've been reading several blogs lately - rather than writing anything of my own I've been investigating what others have to say about the writing process.

I'm finding the Romance Writers community to be the most caring, loyal and giving community I've come across.

What I've learned over the last few weeks is:
unless you are either really REALLY lucky, or REALLY talented, you are not going to sell the first piece you write. And that's ok!
I've also found that you will learn something from everything you do, whether it is a short story, a long one, a poem, a book you read, a blog entry, an article for a professional journal etc. etc.

I've been published - and while it isn't a romance novel, it is a professional article for a technology blog. I'm happy about it because it's part of me to write those, and I'm learning a lot from writing them. But it isn't the only kind of writing I want to do so I have to find time to keep working on it.

As far as my blog title, I've decided that I'm going to build on the idea I've got about starting with the end and then moving to the beginning. I know I've read it and it works successfully for some stories. So I'd like to give it a try for me and see if I can make it work.

I visited a blog lately that discussed the use of dialogue and I found it to be extremely helpful. You can visit it here: http://www.trishwylie.blogspot.com/ and look at the two articles on dialogue.

I'm going to do an exercise shortly that begins with dialogue and then as shown in the article, I can add details to describe feelings, movement, location, and facial hmmm....what is it I want to say here...facial reactions I think. That will help me practice my skills of dialogue and scene building at the same time.

This seems like a fun exercise so I'll post my before and after to see how it goes.