Friday, July 21, 2006

Description Service

We had one WICKED thunder and lightning storm yesterday.

I stood watching, enthralled by the way the rain pounded onto the pavement and listening to the thunder roll and crash across the sky. The lightning lit the heavens like a spike of white light streaking over rooftops.

As I watched the rain get harder, the lightening get brighter and flash more often, and heard the thunder boom and rattle overhead, I thought about adding in to a story.

Then I remembered I had read on another blog somewhere, and I'm sorry I don't remember where, that giving yourself a task, a short piece of writing, can hone your skills when you have a weak area. My weak area right now, beside - well, everything, is descriptions.

In thinking about the storm yesterday I wondered how many descriptive words I could use to describe, the rain, how it dropped, huge tears pelted the earth unrelenting, puddling on the grass into murky brown pools, riccoched dangerously off cars, and spattered through the screen of the window...and the thunder, how it crackled, boomed, sighed and sounded so angry-unforgiving, then the lightning, how it flashed across the sky like a deadly beacon of electric fire blinding me with its power.....

So - how would you describe rain, thunder and lightning? How would you make it feel real to someone who wasn't there to experience it?