Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hotter than Hot

Yes, it is the warmest weekend of the summer season thus far. Man is it H-O-T in the S-U-N (if I say it I'll feel like I'm swearing).

We have central air, but we're keeping the temperature at just livable so that we don't cause rolling brown outs or black outs like what happened when the grid collapsed a couple of years ago.

I have been working on alternatives to keeping cool and yet still enjoy the outdoors. We have a lovely rear yard that is mostly shade through the day. I sat out for a good portion of the day yesterday in my chaise, listening to the birds come to the new feeder I put up...We've got yellow and purple finches, chick-a-dees, cardinals, some black things I don't know what they are, and something that has quite a sad sound that I can hear but can't see.

This morning I decided I wanted to bring my laptop outside with me and do some writing while I enjoy the breeze and shade, sights and sounds of my yard. It's not quite as breezy as yesterday but lovely none the less. My husband also wanted to bring his laptop outside and make use of the wireless internet I setup. The problem is we have no power outlets on the outside of our house or in our yard.

My husband, handy as he is, created an outdoor power outlet (like an extension cord but visualize a power outlet from your house) that he connected to an outdoor extension cord which is plugged into our office and hangs out the window. No one can see it so it's ok. We have the extension cord running about 25 feet and then the outdoor outlet connects both our laptops and voila! We have power.

It's wonderful. Now if only I could figure out how to get my coffee pot out here too.......