Friday, July 07, 2006

Protagonist Problems

Definition:
Protagonist:
Pronunciation: prO-'ta-g&-nist
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek prOtagOnistEs, from prOt- prot- + agOnistEs competitor at games, actor, from agOnizesthai to compete, from agOn contest, competition at games

1 a : the principal character in a literary work (as a drama or story) b : a leading actor, character, or participant in a literary work or real event
2 : a leader, proponent, or supporter of a cause : Champion

Here's my dilemma, in romantic fiction does the protagonist always have to be the female lead? I've been researching and I can't seem to find too many romatic books that have the man as the protaganist. I did find one, which I actually found to be an amazing read. It was Northern Lights by Nora Roberts. I actually thought this book more like her works as J.D. Robb, but felt it was very refreshing to read it. I have actually read it twice in the last three weeks because I really liked it.

Do I think I am talented enough to write with the man as the lead?

I'm not that "in touch" with my masculine side.